Monday, July 29, 2013

John Baldessari: Eight Soups and a Creative Storage Solution


John Baldessari: Eight Soups


I am thrilled to finally have the Baldessari Eight Soups "creatively stored" at my home.  I purchased the entire suite of prints at Gemini G.E.L. at Joni Moisant Weyl.  Eight Soups, are screenprints by John Baldessari that feature a playful nod to Matisse's 1912 painting, Goldfish and Sculpture.


 I actually acquired the artwork BEFORE seeing it in person.  I finally viewed the work for the first time in Gemini's booth at Art Basel Miami, 2012.


Seeing all eight works framed with their rich color and scale was thrilling, BUT I realized the storage of the pieces in my office was going to be problematic.  I wanted to keep the work unframed, flat, and in a climate-controlled environment.  


I spoke to my good friend artist,curator, photographer,installer, Steve Dennie (Dennie Art Services, 214-850-1018), and we came up with a solution.  We created an archival box that protects the artwork while in storage and allows my clients (and my family) to see and enjoy the work until the portfolio is sold.

All eight pieces are safely stacked and stored in the plexi-box.  Each are mounted on archival matt board.  I can now show each piece safely, without ever touching the paper/print.


Even Coco, our family cat approves of our creative storage solution!

1 comment:

  1. Super brilliant solution! Worthy of a smallrooms reward if there was one.

    ReplyDelete